|"Date fruit" image by Suat Eman|
These herbal treats are a nutritious alternative to candy or energy bars, are free of nuts, soy, dairy and gluten. Filled with herbs that support digestion, mood, energy, and decreased stress, they also provide a host of vitamins (including B vitamins, K, and A) and minerals such as iron, calcium and magnesium from the dates, spirulina and tahini. The tahini also provides protein, while coconut oil gives us healthy fats in the form of medium-chain triglycerides, supporting increased energy, strong muscles, and brain health. Dietary fiber from dates helps prevent LDL (bad cholesterol) build-up and moves waste smoothly through the digestive system, allowing your body to remove toxins. Rose Salt is filled with trace minerals that support the thyroid and roses for joy. Best of all, Good Time Energy Treats are delicious!Good Time Energy Treats are great for school lunch boxes or for an afternoon pick-me-up, a hike, or as a tasty snack with a tall glass of hemp milk or locally pasture-raised cows’ milk.Good Time Energy Treats
• 3 cups tahini (drain excess oil from the top)
• 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
• 1 cup honey
• 1 cup pitted dates
• ½ cup cocoa powder or carob powder (use more or less for consistency)
• 2 cups shredded coconut, divided
• 2 oz slippery elm powder
• 5 oz ashwagandha
• 1 oz spirulina
• 2 Tablespoons cinnamon
• 1 Tablespoon ginger
• 1 Tablespoon cardamom
• 1/3 teaspoon Blackbird's Daughter Himalayan Rose Salt, ground.
1. Mix tahini and dates in a blender until smooth.
2. Blend in coconut oil, honey, salt and powdered herbs and spices.
3. Add 1 cup of coconut and blend. Add cocoa powder until you have a soft dough.
4. Pour the rest of the coconut into a wide bowl. Grease your hands with a little coconut oil, and roll spoonfuls of the dough into balls. Roll the balls in the coconut, pressing the coconut into the dough so the balls don’t stick together.5. Store your treats in the fridge or a cool place away from moisture. They will last for several weeks.©2014 Blackbird’s Daughter